McIlwraith Croquet Club was established in 1923 after the land was bequeathed to the Town of Toowong by Lady Harriette Ann McIlwraith (2nd wife of Sir Thomas McIlwraith, Premier of Queensland , who served 3 terms between 1879 and 1893).
It was donated for recreational purposes only. We are not sure of the origin of the clubhouse, club records were destroyed in the 1974 flood when the entire building was submerged to the gable peak.
Women only club until 1946
Our clubhouse has been completely raised and renovated in 2009 and then again after the 2011 floods when more than 4 metres of water covered the lawns and up to the second level of clubhouse. Renovations were carried out with grants from Qld Government, Brisbane City Council, local businesses and community support.
The club is once again a great venue for functions and celebrations.
Visiting croquet players are welcome to McIlwraith either from other local clubs or those visiting Brisbane. Please feel free to join us on any member playing day and meet the friendly locals!